Monday, June 01, 2009

3 hours, 2400 meters, 3 inch heels

Grant and I took a day trip out of Barcelona to visit the Monastery of Montserrat. This monastery is cut into the side of a mountain in Catalonia. To reach the absolute pinnacle you must hike up a rough trail cut right into the stone. Along the way you can see hermit´s caves and small chapels. Sounds like fun, right? those of you who know me, know that I almost always have on high heels. On this particular occasion I had donned a pair of 3 inch slip-ons. After 20 minutes of steps and rough terrain, I will admit this hike started to be less than fun, but I have never been one to turn down a challenge. More than an hour later we reached the top and saw a most stunning view. It was worth it! We thought there would be a way to ride down the mountain buy not so. We found the only way down we the way we came up. By the time we reached the bottom our feet had been much abused but I was able to brag a little when the people at the trail head asked if we made it all the way to the top!








The Monastery itself was beautiful and still home to Benedictine monks. We were able to listen in to part of Sunday Mass and hear one of the oldest boys´ choirs in Europe.




No comments: